ASIA PARANORMAL INVESTIGATORS

Making sense of the World we live in
It is currently Wed, 28 Jun 2017 01:22 pm

All times are UTC + 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 02:10 pm 
Webmaster
Webmaster

Adapted from Zaobao, published on 27 Aug 06

Views of the big rusty pipes in the tunnel. The small pipes stretch from the tunnels to 20m short of the shoreline where they are suddenly terminated.

There is a rumour of a secret tunnel in Marsilings. SPI Kenny went there to explore a couple of months ago, and they found a secret tunnel.

They found 4 - 5 drainage pipes in the tunnel, unequal sizes, and rusty.

Besides the tunnel, there is also a small concrete hut with an iron window. Entrance with no gate, but on the opposite and right side , there are 2 one metre high tunnels, which is not possible for man to walk.

Nearby the slope, thre are two rows of short brick structures, allowing the iron pipes to stay above the ground..

Kenny Fong believes it is a pre war British facility. He said the British is good at building underground facilities, and the design is similar to Fort Siloso and Labrador tunnel. From the state of rust in the pipes, the structures must be very old.

According to Kenny, nearby the tunnel there should be some kind of compressor to make a complete pumping and delivery system. This facility is obviously well thought out and design system.

Kenny also read in books that the British bulit a secret navy base in Marsiling. Although all facilities are ready, due to lack of budget , the facilities are not utilized and later abandoned.

Kenny also show the pictures to his friend who has 20 years of engineering experience. His friend who worked in Pulau Brani Naval Base before, said he saw similar British maintenance structures on some islands near Sentosa. The current Marsiling tunnel and the small hut is reminiscent of the British structures. He is confident that the facilities at Marsiling is built by the British.

He also recognises the plumbing in/out system: oil, water and oxygen. He said hat some pipes has the international symbol of the oxygen logo.
Also there is a copper plate at each pipe joint. There are 12 screws in the copper plate. That means it is high pressure oil piping. If the copper plate has only 6 screws, it is a low pressure water pipping.

Researcher Yeo (Architecture PhD student): Before 70's, the sandstone were grinded manually, and therefore uneven particles resulted. Here the sandstone's particle sizes are even, it must be machine grinded.

Also from the bitumen applied to the coating of the pipes outside the tunnel, which is still in good condition, Yeo thinks that the structure is of recent origin.

Researcher Lim (Archaeology Masters student) - The tunnel is a recent structure, there is no historical significance attached to it.

However, Kenny Fong, a part time lecturer in IT at the University of Macau said that it might be renovations or alterations by the Malaysian Navy who took over the management later of the tunnel, causing the structures to appear recent. The British use this place as some kind of storage facility for supply to Sembawang Naval Base in cases of necessity. However, he could not find more evidence of artillery or other defence facilities in the jungle. Sembawang Navy Base is only a reserve base, and not for defence. Kenny said. This find by SPI, is a big meaningful find that the British do not pay much attention to Northern Defence of Singapore and is an omission by Singapore history.

------------------------------------------

fengshui's remarks:

I believe our affiliate Urban-Explorers (http://www.urban-explorer.net) has gone to explore the place and taken some pictures although no conclusion was made.

Please also take a look at 9's pictures taken in Aug 2005 including an interesting pictures of a meter or gauge, and the sets of pipes :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51453931@N00/31663086/

9's flickr photo gallery of the Marsiling tunnel which show details of the plumbing system:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/51453931@N00/sets/706305/

----------------------------------------

It can be a supply depot, especially for liquids like oil and water. The presence of a nearby sea terminal mean that liquids such as oil can be easily transported by the sea route and also kept in storage facilities in the depot for use on land. The green pipes seen are still in use as shown in 9's pictures extending to the wharf.

Picture courtesy from 9's photo gallery. C is the place where the tunnel is found by Urban Explorer earlier in 2005.

The gauge mounted on a wall looks like a thermohygrograph, which functions as a monitor for temperature and relative humidity, to ensure optimal storage conditions.

The oxygen piping does not make sense, first from the photos, there are no small pipes as oxygen piping usually flow in smaller pipes. Oxygen piping is also used only within the facilities itself supplied from cylinders. For high pressure transfer of oxygen, it is usually done through stainless steel piping. There is also little industrial application for oxygen in this case as it actively support combustion.

The age of the facility will be key point in determining who built these facilities. Given the proximity of the wharf, having a storage depot with piping facilities for transfer and storage of liquids make a lot of sense.

Even if it is built by the British, to relate this storage depot to the British not recognising the importance of the Northern Defence and that this is a historical significant find is stretching things too far, IMHO.

Given the scarity of news worthy events in Singapore, sensationalizing this kind of news as in the heading: "Mystery tunnel connect to Johor" does grab some attention in the eyes of the public. But that is the purpose of news entertainment.

Last edited by fengshui on Mon, 28 Aug 2006 06:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:19 am 
Webmaster
Webmaster

Update 1

The British and the ANZUK (Australia, New Zealand, UK) decide to remain in Singapore in Feb 71 under a series of agreements to defend Singapore and Malaysia.

One of my friends supplied many cartons/crates to the support base located in Woodlands/Sembawang in the early 1970's for them to vacate the Naval base and the married quarters.

The Navy Base component of ANZUK in 1971:

Rear Admiral David Wells, RAN, had under command the following major units:

two RN frigates,
RAN and RNZN frigates and an
RN or RAN submarine.

ANZUK Support Group: This formation comprised 24 integrated units providing all Army logistic support requirements, and common support for all other services in Singapore. Two ANZUK Bases were located at Woodlands and Sembawang to cater for the support requirements of these areas.

However the decision to disband the ANZUK came fast and unexpected in 1974, 3 years after its formation in 1971.

That is when my friend sent many crates to the Naval base to carry the equipment back to their respective countries.

You can read more about this ANZUK force which formed and lasted for a few years in 1970s

1970's is the supposed age of the facilities based on tests done on the structure by the researchers.

You can read more about the ANZUK force here:

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-con ... /anzuk.htm

Last edited by fengshui on Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 11:04 am 
API Senior
API Senior

Good work Fengshui....

The though of an underground tunnel seemed appealing, but the fact that there are pipings in them means it was never meant for human traffic except for meaintenance of those pipes, else the danger of accidental flooding in those tunnels would be real.

Also, the existence of those tunnels have been known by many, although they usually called it the Masiling Dunguens.

For my contribution, it would be dangerous to enter any tunnels as they are known to be confined spaces, where gas built-up from decaying matter and stagnant liquid have been known to kill. There is also the danger of slipping, injuring yourself.

Therefore, one should not enter a confined space without doing the proper 'gas-check'

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 06:23 pm 
API Senior
API Senior

I just did a check on the internet..

The material used is Ductile Cast Iron Pipe.

This is introduced only in 1955 (read here) and it gained popularity only in the 1970s.

Image Chart taken from here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 02:41 pm 

abductboy wrote:
Good work Fengshui....

The though of an underground tunnel seemed appealing, but the fact that there are pipings in them means it was never meant for human traffic except for meaintenance of those pipes, else the danger of accidental flooding in those tunnels would be real.

Also, the existence of those tunnels have been known by many, although they usually called it the Masiling Dunguens.

For my contribution, it would be dangerous to enter any tunnels as they are known to be confined spaces, where gas built-up from decaying matter and stagnant liquid have been known to kill. There is also the danger of slipping, injuring yourself.

Therefore, one should not enter a confined space without doing the proper 'gas-check'

Hi Abductboy,

Believe it or not, the marsiling 'dungeon' that the SPI team went, was not the one that I saw during my childhood years @Marsiling... I have shared the article with my "teenage years gang" members, & they agreed its not the one shown in the newspaper cutting or urban explorer site...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 05 Oct 2006 03:10 pm 
API Senior
API Senior

Hi Hindhede,

I believed you.

I know Sembawang is lined with lots of undergrond tunnels that stretch along the same side of the road opposite View Road hospital stretch.

But mostly they have been broken up and refilled.

But I would like to hear your story about the past of this place.

I would like to bring people to this part of Singapore and share your story

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 01:38 pm 

abductboy wrote:
Hi Hindhede,

I believed you.

I know Sembawang is lined with lots of undergrond tunnels that stretch along the same side of the road opposite View Road hospital stretch.

But mostly they have been broken up and refilled.

But I would like to hear your story about the past of this place.

I would like to bring people to this part of Singapore and share your story

Thanks for believing me! Anyway I came across a website showing WWII batteries & tunnels @Pengerang Johor, and saw one of the picture that resemble almost 80% of the dungeon I saw in Marsiling.. see below

As you can see, the structure I pointed out, is quite different from the one that SPI found... I am just worried it has been digged out...